Since Michigan lies in the midwestern regions of the United States, where the weather conditions are generally very cold, it is very tough to sow a beautiful and lush lawn. Although it is tough, that does not make it impossible, so today, we are taking a look at some of the best grass seeds for the Michigan area.
Due to a cold climate, this area requires cool-season grasses that can withstand cold weather conditions and grow lush during the spring and fall. If the grass seed is compatible with the weather of the Michigan region, it will thrive beautifully.
Since finding such seeds might be tricky, we have put together a list of some of the best grass seeds that can grow in Michigan.
Top Picks Grass Seed for Midwestern Regions
1. Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sun & Shade Mix
Coming from the Scotts store, this grass seed is available in four different package sizes and five different styles (one-pack, two-pack, two-pack grass seed, and EZ seed bundle, four-pack, and six-pack).
It is a versatile seed mix that grows in extreme conditioning, including full sun and dense shade. The grass spreads very aggressively and provides you with a lush and thick lawn. It has a fine-bladed texture with suitable drought tolerance.
These seeds feature an exclusive WaterSmart PLUS coating technology that keeps them damp for a much longer period than any uncoated seeds. This technology feeds to excellent growth protects seedlings against various diseases.
The seeds will start to grow within ten days, but it will take between thirty and sixty days for the grass to become fully established and lush. To get the best results, water the soil every day.
2. Hancock’s Pensacola Bahia Spring & Summer Grass Seed Mix
This seed mix comes from the Hancock Seed Company, and it is available in four different packaging options for you to choose from. It is suitable for sandy soils and the best period for planting is during spring.
This grass seed sprouts perfectly on the soils that numerous other grasses struggle to survive on. This mixture contains 75% coated Pensacola bahiagrass and 25% browntop millet.
It is recommended to plant the seeds in the spring or summer when the nighttime temperatures are higher consistently, which will give you the best possible results. Furthermore, when planted in the fall, the seed will be vulnerable to various environmental factors.
To get the best results, make sure to spread seeds evenly and to water the soil every day, preferably early in the morning.
3. Pennington Smart Seed Sun and Shade Grass Mix
These cool-season grass seeds come from the Pennington store and are available in three packaging options – 3 lb, 7 lb, and 20 lb. This perennial grass seed thrives best in areas that are sunny and moderately shady.
The seed produces a thick, fine-bladed, dark green lush lawn that is highly versatile and can thrive in cool weather regions. It is pure-bred, drought-tolerant species that is an excellent mixture of tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, and fine fescue.
It will thrive best in the areas that receive between four and six hours of sunlight. The seed contains a sufficient amount of fertilizer that will help your lawn grow thick and beautiful. A single bag can cover up to 2330 square feet, and after sowing, you should expect the first results within two weeks.
4. Jonathan Green 10315 Black Beauty Grass Seed Mix
Coming from the Jonathan Green store, this grass seed mix is available in three packaging options for you to choose from. A single five-pound pack can cover up to 1500 square feet, and these seeds are an exceptional choice for cooler regions.
If sown properly, this seed mix can give you very fast results. It will provide you with a beautiful green, lush lawn that will thrive excellently in the Michigan area. The seed is highly resistant and can grow and survive in the regions most other seeds cannot.
Although it comes for a bit higher price, Jonathan Green black beauty grass seed mix offers exceptional value for the money. To save some cash, you can purchase two 25 lb bags instead of one 50 lb.
5. Kentucky 31 K31 Tall Fescue Grass Seed by Eretz
This grass seed offers you six different packaging options to choose from. It is an extremely durable grass seed that offers excellent drought tolerance, and as a final result, you get a green, thick and lush lawn that every neighbor will envy you on.
This grass seed is an excellent choice for applications that will get some foot traffic or any other type of abuse. There are no coatings, treatments, pesticides, chemicals, or any inoculants added to this seed.
The seeds are safe for skin contact, so you do not have to wear any gloves while sowing. To get the best results out of it, make sure to water it regularly at the start. After it starts growing and germinating, it will not require much water. The grass holds up during rough weather conditions, and it is an excellent choice for cool regions.
6. WaterSaver Grass Mixture
WaterSaver lawn seed mixture in four packaging options to choose from, and it is perfect for full sunlight exposure but can also thrive in shaded areas. It is an excellent choice for new lawns but can also be used to repair damaged ones with high efficiency.
This grass has a self-repairing root system, requires very low maintenance, and needs less watering and mowing. Furthermore, it is a great seed for the transition climate zones and the northern climate regions.
This seed creates a strong root system which, as a result, produces a thick and even lawn both in the sun and shade. The grass has beautiful and strong green color, while seeds provide protection against insects and diseases, which is highly important throughout germinating process.
As far as the seeding rate goes, you require 10 lb of seeds to cover 1000 square feet, which is a pretty generous amount.
7. Canada Green Grass Seed
Canada Green grass seed mixture comes in a six-pound package and produces lush, beautiful green lawns all year round in pretty much any climate condition. These seeds provide you with excellent protection from weeds and insects, which is highly important throughout the growing process.
The final result of these seeds is a thick lawn that requires little to no upkeep. Furthermore, you will get the first results just a couple of days after sowing. This grass is also highly resilient and can withstand heavy foot traffic.
Canada Green grass seeds create lawns with excellent results. Due to its resilience, the grass is also very good for golf courses. It will start growing within five days if all necessary conditions are met, and you will get an exceptional lawn in roughly three weeks.
8. Creeping Red Fine Fescue Seed by Eretz
Creeping Red fine fescue seed is well-known for its disease resistance, low-prostate growth, and exceptional green color. It comes from the Eretz store, and it is available in six different package sizes for you to choose from.
The end result of these seeds is a perennial grass that offers you excellent performance in shaded areas. It is low-maintenance grass that does not require much fertilizer. You should till the ground before sowing and spread seeds evenly to get the best results.
After the sowing process, you should water the soil regularly until established. You will get the best results if you sow the seeds during spring or fall. The important thing to note is that Creeping Red fine fescue is slow to germinate, so it will take roughly two weeks.
9. OrOlam Canada Grass Green Seed Bag
Coming from the OrOlam store, this grass seed provides you with hardy, thick grass that can grow pretty much anywhere. If you water the soil regularly after seeding, you will notice the first results within just ten days.
This Canadian seed is very tough and can withstand cold weather, heat, drought, wind, or even snow. It is highly resistant to bugs, diseases, weeds and can withstand heavy foot traffic. The product comes in a 1 lb bag, and it can cover roughly 200 square meters.
The seeds germinate very fast and can produce a beautiful, lush, and resilient lawn that is excellent for golf courses. Furthermore, you get precise planting and cultivating instructions in the package, which will drastically ease the whole seeding process, especially if you are a beginner.
10. White Dutch Clover Grass Seed
White Dutch Clover grass seed is one of the popular choices for various weather conditions. It produces tough and lush lawn, and it is an excellent way to add nutrients back into your soil or to patch up damaged surfaces.
This grass can withstand all sorts of foot traffic, and it is highly resilient. When you use the seeds properly, Dutch White Clover provides a natural fertilizer for your soil and can help you grow plants even in areas covered with huge shades.
You can either overseed clover into your already existing lawn or start new from scratch. Clover lawns are highly popular since they offer low cost and low maintenance in shaded areas and can withstand various weather conditions.
To get the best results from these seeds, make sure to remove dead plants from the soil, rake it, and use the roller to firm the seeding area up. Water it regularly after the seeding process, and you will notice the first results within just a couple of days.
Things to Consider When Purchasing Grass Seed for Michigan Region
Before spending any money on grass seeds, you must take into consideration some important aspects that will ultimately get you the best results. To help you purchase the right seed pack, we have assembled a brief list of guidelines you should follow in the section below.
The first thing you need to do before purchase is to assess the soil and check if the seed you are about to buy can develop into a lawn in your climate region.
Regardless of the seed you are about to buy, knowing your soil’s PH level is very important. It will ultimately decide the end result since different grass types require different PH levels. If you mismatch seed type and PH levels, there is a chance that you will compromise grass quality.
Make sure to check when is the best time to start seeding. For example, some species grow fast during the spring season, while others will thrive best during autumn.
In case you need seeds for golf courses or football courts, consider purchasing seeds that will grant you lawns that can withstand heavy foot traffic.
You should also consider grass’ weather tolerance. Some types can withstand drought and heat, while others will be more tolerant of high water content in the soil.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best time to plant grass seed in Michigan?
To get the best results out of seeds in the Michigan region, you should plant them when you have moderate temperatures, warm soils, and cool evenings. This will make seeds germinate faster, and you will get thick and lush lawns.
2. Should I plant seed on wet soil?
You should avoid planting seeds on wet soil. Be patient and wait until the soil gets dry through evaporation since wet conditions can cause the seed to rot and attract a variety of diseases.
3. Can grass seed germinate without cover?
Yes, grass seeds can germinate if uncovered. However, you will get better results if you add a layer of topsoil or compost on the seeds since it will keep them moist and allow them to germinate properly.
4. Can grass seed die if I do not water the soil regularly?
Indeed it can. To get the germinating process right, you should water the soil regularly after planting. It will get you the best results and prevent seeds from getting damaged or dying off completely.
5. When should I oversee the lawn in Michigan?
The ideal time to do this is during the early fall season. This is the best time because the soil temperature is warmer and the environmental temperature is cooler. Another big benefit of overseeding in the early fall is the fact that fewer weeds grow during this period, and the whole process will be a lot easier.
The bottom line is that the best seeds for the Michigan region are the ones that will produce cool-season grass. Opt for species that have high drought and disease tolerance to get the best results and avoid numerous inconveniences.
Some grass seeds that give excellent results in Michigan are advised to be applied by mixing with other species, so make sure to do your homework before spending any money. We hope our list and guide will help you make a smart purchase. Check out reviews, and customer ratings, and look for second opinions because only then will you make an educated choice and get yourself a beautiful, lush lawn.
Be sure to visit seedsofcompassion.org for more reviews and blogs on making your lawn beautiful.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Repairs bare spots in two weeks or less.
- Everything you need to grow lush, thick grass is pre-mixed and ready to use
- Contains a combination of premium bermudagrass seed, professional-grade fertilizer, and mulch
- Covers up to 75 sq. ft. with 7-14 day seed germination
- Grow grass anywhere, guaranteed (subject to proper care) with this revolutionary seeding mix
- Grass seed: Scotts best high performance seed; Mulch: absorbs 6X its weight in water and expands to surround the seed in a moist protective layer
- Fertilizer: Exclusive controlled release technology feeds seedlings to jumpstart growth
- Tackifier: Helps keep seed from washing away; Protectant: Helps keep seedlings safe from harmful diseases that can attack newly planted areas
- Grows in full sun and dense shade, high traffic areas and on slopes; seeds up to 225 sq. ft
- Enjoy a new lawn in just weeks with Scotts Turf Builder Rapid Grass Sun & Shade Mix; grows up to 2x times faster than seed alone when applied at the...
- Unique, proprietary combination of sun and shade mix of seed and fertilizer results in full green grass that grows in just weeks; expect to see grass...
- This sun and shade grass seed and fertilizer combination will change the way you grow grass; it's the most complete solution for large problem areas...
- Fall and Spring are the best times to plant grass seed; seed germinates best when temperatures are between 60°F and 80°F and the chance of frost has...
- For best results, rake soil lightly to remove debris; apply grass seed with a Scotts spreader, then water daily or as needed to keep soil surface...
- Rebels is the original premium Tall Fescue and it's still the best Tall Fescue on the market
- Tough grass with thick, deep and dense roots that will thrive through the toughest conditions
- Produces a darker, greener and denser lawn than Kentucky-31 and other tall fescues
- Grows well in partial shade to full sun and in a wide range of soils
- Requires 4 to 6 hours of sunlight
All Natural, NON GMO seeds grown in USA
Great source of POTASSIUM, FIBER, and vitamins A, B6, C, and K
EASY TO GROW indoors or outdoors
FROM OUR FARM to your table
- Coated to absorb and retain more moisture
- Kentucky 31 tall Fescue grass seed
- Extremely durable, heat & drought tolerant
- Excellent forage or turf grass
- Covers up to 1, 000 Square feet
- DROUGHT TOLERANT GRASS SEED - Black Beauty Original grass seed produces grass roots that can grow up to 4-feet deep for superior drought tolerance....
- 100% TALL FESCUE BLEND - Our cool-season grass seed blend features turf-type tall fescues that are dark-green in color, uniform in leaf texture, will...
- SUNNY & SHADY AREAS - This 100% tall fescue grass seed blend is perfect for growing in sunny and shady areas. Black Beauty Original grass seed...
- IDEAL GROWING CONDITIONS - The best time to apply is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. The next best...
- COMPLETE COVERAGE - This 25 lb bag will seed up to 3,750 sq. ft. for new lawns. For overseeding, this bag will seed up to 7,500 sq. ft. The...
- High-Quality Wheat Grass Seed: Our premium wheatgrass is packed with the good stuff. Grown, harvested, and packaged in the U.S., our wheatgrass offers...
- Organic and Non-GMO: It's easy being green now more than ever! Our wheat grass seed is organically grown and non-GMO.
- Easy Come, Easy Grow: Our seeds grow wheatgrass in just 4-7 days. Choose your favorite planter, garden soil (we suggest our soil disks!), sprinkle in...
- For People Too: Wheatgrass makes a healthy treat for cats, dogs, rodents, reptiles, and you! Add some grass to your juicing recipes, or mix it in a...
- What's Inside: Our seeds come in a BPA-free, resealable 16-ounce bag. Each bag contains about 25 plantings or a year's supply of our premium organic...